Things to do in Los Santos
Los Santos has a huge natural potential and is among the locals a very popular destination. Also, especially in Pedasi, many expats have established due to the wonderful climate . One thing is clear, Los Santos is in terms of touristic activities one of the most interesting provinces of Panama.
Beach holiday - Anyone who is looking for sun, beach and palm trees, Los Santos is definitely the right place. The elongated Pacific Coast offers many white sandy beaches and some very idyllic islands. Iguana Island or Isla Iguana, for example, which is a nature reserve, is a perfect place to relax, enjoy the sun and have a swim in the sea. The small fishing village Cambutal has evolved as an important tourist magnet in recent years. The beach is picturesque, as the vegetation around it is very lush and green. In addition, there are more enchanting beaches around the village of Pedasi.
Diving and Snorkeling - Another very attractive activity in Los Santos is diving. One of the best diving conditions has Isla Iguana, which can be reached in only 15 minutes by boat. A wonderful coral reef surrounds the island and provides a spectacular underwater world. The best time for diving is from April to December, when the sea is a little more calm. Another very interesting area for diving in Los Santos is Isla Canas.
Surfing - Los Santos is the number one spot when it comes to surfing. Firstly to mention, of course, is Playa Venao. It provides excellent conditions for beginners and advanced surfers. Here, the waves can reach up to 5 meters. Other very good surfing waves offers Cambutal and the small fishing village Bucaro.
Refuge for turtles - Isla Canas is a popular nesting site of sea turtles. The island, for this reason is rigorously protected. If you are interested, you can pay a visit to the sanctuary and watch the turtles laying their eggs. Especially leatherbacks hawksbill or green sea turtles build their nests on Isla Canas.
Deep sea fishing - in the province of Los Santos, there are excellent places for deep sea fishing. The best known are Cambutal, Pedasi and especially Bucaro. Bucaro is a place dedicated 100% to sport and deep sea fishing. Here some hotels are offering special offshore trips. The most commong fish species here are Dourados, Tunas, Marlins and Wahoo.
Whale Watching - Whale Watching only takes place at certain times. It should be taken care of, that it is sustainable whale tours and not about irresponsible tours that are destroying the very habitat of the animals and bring them into trouble. Many people think that these tours are a unique and unforgettable experience.
Carnival - Carnival in Panama is definitely something really special. In its most traditional form you can enjoy it at its best in the carnival stronghold of Las Tablas. The best Carnival event in all of Panama takes place in this wonderful town. Part of the spectacle are lots of people, traditional costumes, such as the Pollera of the women and a relaxed atmosphere.
Highlights of Los Santos
- Bucaro - The small fishing village has been completely dedicated to the fishery and has evolved over time into a commercial center for deep-sea and sport fishing. There are many small, charming hotels and tour operators who have fulfilled the wishes of anglers around the world.
- Las Tablas - Las Tablas is the provincial capital of Los Santos, and was founded in 1671. The city is known for its carnival festivities, folklore and traditions. The Carnival in Los Santos is uncomparable throughout Panama.
- Isla Iguana - Isla Iguana (english island of iguanas) is one of the absolute highlights of the province of Los Santos. The white sandy beaches of the island are perfect for relaxing and the turquoise water is ideal to refresh under the hot sun of Panama.
- Cambutal - Cambutal is located at the southernmost tip of the Azuero peninsula and is surrounded by Cerro Hoya National Park. Since years the town is famous for being a surfer's paradise. Also, sport fishing is a popular sport in Cambutal.
- Playa Venao - The beach Playa Venao is located not far from Pedasi. The beach is known as the venue for several internationally recognized surf events. With waves between 3 to 6 meters each, beginners and professionals, get whats their money worth.
How to get to Los Santos?
By plane - There are no direct flights to Los Santos, but there is the possibility to fly from Panama City by plane to Chitre in Herrera and from there you can drive to Las Tablas. The flight time is approximately 35 minutes to Chitre. The subsequent bus or car ride to Las Tablas is a further 30 minutes.
By bus - Buses to Los Santos start from the bus station in Albrook, Panama City. The trip takes about 5 to 6 hours.
By car - The journey with the rental car is exactly the same like travelling by bus.
Panama Travel Tip
The Province of Los Santos is a cultural highlight of Panama. The Perfect time to visit the province is during Carnival. You shouldn't miss Carnival in Panama.